Tuesday, October 20, 2009

hallooweeennnnnnnnnn

so I originally started the previous post with the intention of making it halloween but then I went off topic about the stupid typhoon and I just decided to split them up. But yay for 2 posts!

Halloween is coming up soon!!! I know you're probably like: "umm, yea. duh Tiff," but like being away has made me miss it/ get more excited about it. And yes, Japan has been advertising Halloween.  And I was like SO excited to see that pretty much all of the bakeries and patisseries were doing 'Halloween' specials - but like Japan takes pride in celebrating the seasons so they're using their seasonal vegetables.

So there are sweet potato and chestnut flavored things everywhere with the occasion image of a pumpkin slapped on a cookie or slice of cake - but no cinnamon spicy goodness =( I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about the food because I love how Japan caters to each season by showcasing what foods are at the peak of their harvest, but Halloween = pumpkin spice in my heart <3


Anywho, I wanted to talk about how Japan has been incorporating Halloween into society. I've become really fond of this fast-food chain called 'Freshness Burger" lately. Yes, it is super fresh AND super yummy =) But look at the wrappers they serve your burger in! so cuteee <3



And most of the major department stores/Target-esque homegoods stores have displays where they sell costumes and candy - there's also this one place called 'Don Quixote.' I have no clue why it's called that, but it's pretty much like a huge Spencer's. They have a lot of Halloween stuff, a good portion of it imported from the U.S. but that also makes it more expensive =/ Yea, I don't know why they have a penguin in a Santa hat as their mascot either, but that's Don Quixote. 



Here is the Halloween menu from Baskin Robbins - they have flavors with names like "The Candy Man," "The Witch's Trick," and "Magical Night." There is a pumpkin pudding flavor, and I'd like HOPE that it tastes like a pumpkin pie, but I wish there were pumpkin spice lattes (or I wish I had an oven to use so I could make my pumpkin chocolate-chip muffins...). Okay, and it is pretty cute how they made that orange choux look like a pumpkin with chocolate ice cream in it.

My mom sent me my box of clothes that I had packed before I left a little earlier this week. I had her stuff my eskimo costume in there as a back-up because I have an idea for a costume, but I'm just scared it's not going to work. I'm helping plan this Halloween party with one of the directors from CIEE. It's just something to celebrate the season and to get the host families to come out and meet other CIEE students.

And since I've been going through baking withdrawal, I've decided to make pumpkin-spice rice krispies for the event =D Rice krispies were surprisingly hard to find in Japan... I actually like to legit do research and SCOUT out the foreign foods markets in Tokyo. But I am proud to say that I found them, and even more exciting - PUMPKIN SPICE!!! <3 ahhh, I like cried a little on the inside when I saw the jar of pumpkin. It was awesome though - the store I found has a huge variety of import foods and household goods so I felt a little connection to home as I walked through it. It's in this part of Tokyo called 'Azabu,' which has a lot of foreign consulates located in it. But it was funny because I saw so many foreigners there - like I saw ginger kids running around with Japanese kids. IT BLEW MY MIND haha. but seriously


So I'm not going to lie...  the box of Rice Krispies kind of freaked me out... like Tony the Tiger is still on the Frosted Flakes box - but nah dude, it's just straight up katakana on this box. No Snap, Krackle, or Pop =( I actually walked past it the first time I went down the cereal aisle because it was so inconspicuous.


But yes, I did a trial run for one of our planning meetings and they were super-awesome. I'm so excited to make them for everyone on Saturday =)

1 comment: