Tuesday, October 20, 2009

... typhoon day

sooo yea... so much for being 'on top' of my posts. But after typhoon day... oh yea, the 'typhoon' came 2 days after my last post. I would rant about it, but that would include wayyyy too many curse words and ALL CAPS sections so i'll just give you the abridged version:

- I get a text from my program director the night before to watch the news to see if the trains stop running because classes would be cancelled
- I got up, showered, ate breakfast and all that jazz
- I see that there are delays on some lines from the TV, but not the JR lines that run to school
- I get another text from the program director saying classes haven't been cancelled
- I go to the station and make the commute to school
- As I expected, there were delays; Keio was delayed 20 minutes
(Here's the best part)
- I get a text AS I am walking up the platform to transfer that says that 1st and 2nd periods have been cancelled... I ONLY HAVE 1st and 2nd periods those days
- I am gross, getting pushed from people who are flipping shits, and I am LIVID
- THEN: Tokyo stopped running ALL of the trains
- I got stuck in Shinjuku for 4 hours...
- Luckily, I found a friend who was also stuck so we explored Shinjuku
- We ended up meeting a bunch of people later and went to karaoke

~ The end


yea... it was a 'fun' day... like it was actually kind of, sort of funny after I calmed down and figured that I might as well relax somewhere to come up with a game plan to kill time. (In which, I totally spotted a Starbucks from 3 blocks away - WIN) I started taking pictures of the mass panic that it caused too.

The first picture is of the fallen late slips that the train attendants hand out if the trains are delayed. They began to litter the floor and get sweeped up in people's shuffling.

This one is a little hard to see, but the woman with the green arm band has 2 sets of late slips in her hands and is screaming out to the crowd to apologize for the 'inconvenience' that the temporary stop in rail service caused. Poor lady though... people were legit freaking out AT her and pieces of paper were flying everywhere.







And since I had SO much free time on my hands, I went around and got all 3 late slips (Keio, JR, and the Marunouchi subway). yea... I had a lot of time though haha.

Oh, but did I mention the sun came out like around noon? It was a BEAUTIFUL day from like 12:30 ~ 1:00 p.m. on; like 75-ish degrees, clear skies, the whole shebang of the words 'beautiful day.' There were mini gusts of wind, but still... I saw that the typhoon did actually cause damage across other area of Japan though - my grandmother apparently carried a chest up to the 2nd floor by herself? I don't know... But she, like Japan, did not take mother nature lightly. I guess I didn't think twice about what 'could' have happened because I was so used to hurricane season back home. But like COME ON Tokyo - I SO did not need to make all of that effort and walk around Shinjuku looking like a hot mess for 4 hours.

And this was the next day... can you SEE how sunny it was? Chyea.... and Keio still managed to be 10 minutes late. Whatevs... That day has infamously been dubbed 'typhoon day' by everyone and I will hopefully never have to experience another mass-chaos with the trains.







But then I went out that night and found these people =) I think they were recruiters for a manga-cafe? I don't know... I just felt bad that they had to wear those for their uniforms hahah. But I'm not going to lie... I kind of, sort of, really want to buy one before I come back home. I have a picture in the 1st album with a whole rack of costume-onesies. I see a girl in the dorm wearing a Cheshire Cat one as her pajamas from time to time. I don't know which one I'll get, but I am SO going to rock one around my apartment when I get back to Philly <3

No comments:

Post a Comment