Tuesday, October 6, 2009

trains... the rumors are true


I know, like WHATTTT? another post the next day? Well I am super excited to announce that for the FIRST time in the history of me being a college student: I HAVE A DAY OFF. Ahh, omg like seriously I didn't think it was true at first. And it just HAPPENED like that - Jochi just GAVE it to me. I have my RPH251 (religion) class Mondays and Thursdays, IBE316 (economic policy), HST251 (history) on Tuesdays and Fridays, and Japanese 3 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. MASS-EXCITEMENT (as if you couldn't tell by the all-CAPS parts). But yea, I'm pretty pumped. 


Anywho, the point of this post is for the train commute I take to school in the mornings. Like I'm sure you've heard of the hired 'pushers' and 'pullers' on the platforms... Well they legit exist. They have their little while gloves on and are prepared to DO WORK. My neighbor Naoko posted this video and I laughed so hard I started tearing up, but it's no joke. 

I get pushed and squished and shoved every morning. There is NO meaning to the term 'personal space' during the morning rush hours - like I was all up in some dude's armpit for 10 minutes this morning. I also got elbowed in the nose on Monday, but that guy actually said he was sorry for that. Yea... awesome... I like pray to myself that no one gets on at the next and that people will get off, but of course that's just my wishful thinking...


But another thing I wanted to note is my actual commute. My commute usually takes like 45 minutes total, which isn't bad in my opinion. I had originally only posted the Tokyo Metro (subway) map, like thinking I'd take that or something. But I actually take a private line called Keio and then transfer to the JR (Japan Railway) system. So my commute is this: 


Musashinodai -- take local to --> Chofu -- transfer to express --> Shinjuku --> transfer from Keio to JR line in the station --> go to next stop, Yotsuya, which is where school is. 


The ride between Chofu and Shinjuku is always the worst. I always wait for the express because the 'rapid' is SO not a 'rapid;'  it only skips like 4 local stations along the way... But yea, that whole notion of politeness and modesty STOPS with the trains. Old people and housewives with shopping bags will run you down at any time with no regrets so they can get a seat. And like I've found out that wearing heels is a strategical move. Because I am like normal height here ( <3 ), I can face my head up towards the ceiling of the train and like kind of, sort of, but not really breathe IF I wear heels that day. So it's either wear heels, or look down the entire time to try and find a pocket of air to claim for myself. 


I think this is where the trains are the reason for the majority of my mystery bruises... not that I doubt I got some while just trying to function normally, but I think I can target the commute as one of the many possibilities. And as much as I've like freaked out within this post about the commute, it really is only the mornings that suck. And Keio. They've been late for the past couple of days due to the rain and upcoming typhoon. It's like SUPER ridiculous for trains to be late in Japan and station masters even have notices to give to people so they can prove that the trains WERE actually late. Keio needs to step their shit up. 


But besides the mornings and Keio, I can honestly say I LOVE the public transportation here in Japan. It is so easy to travel anywhere within or outside of the city because people rely on it so much. And the morning rush hours do have like 1 advantage; it's that the trains run so often that if you miss it, another one will come within 3~5 minutes. Ooh Japan... your dichotomy between politeness and respect in society and the insolent attitude towards morning commutes will forever puzzle me... Maybe I'll be super on top of things and have another post up again soon <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment