Friday, August 21, 2009

mcdonald's ridiculousness

So I feel like almost half of my posts will be food related... But can you blame me? A lot of people always ask me about the "crazy" food that exists in Japan; granted that a lot of it IS crazy but most of it is based on cultural difference. The most common is the 'ebi-mayo' (shrimp and mayo) pizza - okay people, if you like seafood, you have nothing to judge. It's actually pretty bangin'.
But what I began writing this post for was about McDonald's. I like to read food blogs and creep on the Japanese websites for fast food chains like McDonald's and Starbucks when I get bored just to see what new variations they have over there. So as I was super bored the other night I discovered this:

Yes. It screams 'JAPAN' just as loud as 'Cheese' from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

The 1st one (TAMAGO Double Mac) is a sandwich with 2 beef patties, a sunnyside up egg (tamago = egg), and bacon. The 2nd sandwich is the same as the 1st, but with only 1 patty. The 3rd is a fried chicken patty (tatsuta), but it's only coated in flour&spices instead of breadcrumbs. It also includes some shredded cabbage for a lettuce-esque crunch. And the 4th... I'm not 100% positive, but a little deciphering of the abbreviated name hints that it is a gratin-croquette sandwich on top of some cabbage. It sounds delicious, but then I think of how many calories it probably has...
But yea, I won't be there for the 1st crazy concoction they're promoting, but I will be for the rest.

 And now I introduce: Mr. James. This bespectacled white dude who speaks broken Japanese and is crazed for McDonald's burgers in Japan is the new spokesperson for these crazy burgers. Are people finding this offensive? HELLZ YES. I makes me think about the Asians that were used in the KFC Grilled Chicken commercials. I found it hilarious; my brother, not so much. But whatevs, Mr. James is even being used to promote a sweepstakes to win about $1,000. You can either:  
- Dress up and take a picture of yourself as Mr. James and upload it to the McDonald's website
- Send in a postcard with your address and info on it
- OR get one of those scratch-off cards when you purchase something from McDonald's. 
Oohhh Japan, how I love thee and your crazy marketing schemes. I shall see you in 24 days <3


No comments:

Post a Comment